Dairy Science Major
The dairy industry is one of the most important segments of the agricultural economy in Georgia. The curriculum couples an understanding of animal health and management with knowledge of lactation physiology. Dairy Science students gain understanding of the business, economics, basic sciences and management of dairy production facilities as well as taking the traditional dairy science classes on nutrition, feeding, selection, genetics and reproduction. Dairy Science majors graduate with the knowledge and hands-on learning experiences that prepare them for careers in the dairy industry, graduate school or veterinary medicine.
What does a Dairy Science major study?
View the required Dairy Science courses and available electives in the UGA Bulletin. You will determine the right courses to match your interests with assistance from your advisor.
To prepare for courses to earn a Dairy Science degree we recommend you:
- Volunteer or work for a veterinarian, farm, animal shelter or humane society
- Participate in any school or community animal and/or biological science clubs or organizations
- Engage in biological or animal science-related student projects
- Attend Animal Science in Action
What can a Dairy Science student do outside of class?
- Labs with live animals
- American Dairy Science Association Student Affiliate Division (ADSO-SAD)
- Dairy Challenge
- Jersey Active Management by Students (JAMS)
- Undergraduate research opportunities
- Internship and job opportunities at the University Dairy Center
- Study abroad opportunities
- Food Animal Veterinary Incentive Program (FAVIP)
What jobs can I get with a Dairy Science degree?
- Animal Nutritional Consultant
- Dairy Farm Operator/Manager
- Dairy Marketing and Promotions
- Extension Agent
- Reproductive Consultant
- Research Technician
$34,000 to $54,000
How do I pay for college?
Each year the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) awards scholarships to students enrolled in our majors.
Go to CAES Scholarships.
To find out about deadlines and eligibility requirements, visit the University of Georgia Office of Student Financial Aid.