Poultry Science Major
Poultry science majors will receive broad training in the science and business of poultry production. Students take traditional poultry courses dealing with production, management, breeding, nutrition, anatomy and physiology, processing and diseases. Students can also choose to supplement their degree with additional agribusiness and science courses to prepare them for the wide variety of positions available in the poultry industry.
What does a Poultry Science major Study?
View the required Poultry Science courses and available electives in the UGA Bulletin. You will determine the right courses to match your interests with assistance from your advisor.
To prepare for courses to earn a Poultry Science degree we recommend you:
- Participate in FFA Poultry Judging
- Participate in 4-H Poultry Judging
- Participate in 4-H Poultry Science Project Achievement
- Take AP and Honors Science Courses
- Attend Avian Adventures
What can a Poultry Science student do outside of class?
- Labs with live birds
- Undergraduate research opportunities
- Poultry Judging team
- Help with Avian Adventures
- Internship opportunities
- Study abroad opportunities
What jobs can I get with Poultry Science degree?
- Assistant Hatchery Manager
- Biotechnology Teacher
- Breeder Manager
- Breeder Service Representative
- Breeding Supervisor
- Broiler Flock Supervisor
- Broiler Manager
- Broiler-Breeder Supervisor
- Complex Compliance Officer
- County Agent
- Feed Inspector
- Fillet Dept. Supervisor
- Flock Supervisor
- Food Scientist
- Hatcher Supervisor
- Poultry Specialist
- Production Manager
- Quality Assurance Management Trainee
- Quality Control
- Resident Agent
- Service Person
- Turkey Grower
- Veterinary/Professional School
$30,000 to $60,000
How do I pay for college?
Each year the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) awards scholarships to students enrolled in our majors.
Go to CAES Scholarships.
To find out about deadlines and eligibility requirements, visit the University of Georgia Office of Student Financial Aid.