Turfgrass Management Major
Increasing interest in outdoor recreational activities as well as aesthetically appealing landscaped areas has created a demand for professional turfgrass managers. The Turfgrass Management major is designed for maximum flexibility that allows students the opportunity to select one of two paths depending on their interest and future goals. Both paths give students the ability to secure a multitude of jobs or enter graduate school.
Students completing the Turfgrass Management major will be knowledgeable in all aspects of plant and soil science. Particular emphasis is placed on learning environmentally sound strategies for controlling common turfgrass pests such as weeds, insects, and diseases. A careful balance of applied and basic sciences with courses in economics, business management, and accounting combined with on-the-job training opportunities will prepare students for an exciting career in the turfgrass and landscape industry.
What does a Turfgrass Management major study?
View the required Turfgrass Management courses and available electives in the UGA Bulletin. You will determine the right courses to match your interests with assistance from your advisor.
To prepare for courses to earn a Turfgrass Management degree we recommend you:
- Work or volunteer for a local golf course, athletic department, or landscape company
- Participate in Georgia Plant Science Scholars (GAPSS)
What can a Turfgrass Management student do outside of class?
- Labs in the classroom and field
- Undergraduate research opportunities
- Internship opportunities with golf courses, athletic departments, turf sales companies, lawn maintenance contractors, and sod producers
- Study abroad opportunities
What jobs can I get with a Turfgrass Management degree?
- Athletic Field Manager
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Industry Sales Agent
- Private Consultant/Contractor
- Sod Producer
- Turfgrass Researcher/Educator
$33,000 to $48,000
How do I pay for college?
Each year the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) awards scholarships to students enrolled in our majors.
Go to CAES Scholarships.
To find out about deadlines and eligibility requirements, visit the University of Georgia Office of Student Financial Aid.